The Value of AP
My theory is that the value in Aquaponics (AP) is:
- $-Training others about AP and selling related supplies and installing systems and maintaining them; to others, i.e. the “Baby Boomers”.
- Fun interesting, addictive, stress reducing Hobby
- Sharing the passion and what you have learned about AP
- Feels good “helping the planet” by going green, recycling, getting in touch with nature and the earth.
- $-Production of high quality produce and flora for your family. Offsetting the cost of groceries.
- Home grown produce sold, or traded, to local friends one-on-one.
- CSA’s, Co-ops, community gardens, and other group efforts that share the cost of good produce. This is an extension of #4
- Community programs: , feed the neighborhood, mission work, Haiti increased food production, etc. (i.e. feels good as a group)
- $-Only makes money commercially, when run well as a large, long term business setup, in a previously proven market, with a proven system design, and known marketable plants, like lettuce. Also customers identified and secured in advance of venture.
- $- For profit, small business providing fresh produce to local restaurants and periodically open to the public as a one owner “Produce Market”, or distributing to group buys.
I have no interest in #1.
I’m working for #2-5
I want to get to #6.
#7 I HOPE CSA’s, Co-ops and other group efforts will be practical and financially feasible, but believe they mostly will not be.
I have no interest in #8.
I believe #9 works
I believe #10 is true and want to be able to prove it and then do it!