Siphon Clog by Roots
My Flood and drain rock based Aquaponics system has operated flawlessly for over a year.
Recently I noticed that one grow bed was full of water and another draining slow.
When I investigated the drains in the sump I discovered that the roots from the tomato and zucchini plants had clogged the siphon drain pipes.
I was amazed. The roots had to grow through the rock, 1/4″ holes in the siphon filter / protector 4″ PVC pipe, up over and down through the siphon and through the 18″ long 1&1/2″ drain pipes. The roots were hanging out the end of the drain pipes.
Just goes to show you what a good design this siphon is. It was still working even though it was full of roots!