These are the goals I have for my Aquaponics involvement. The first four are hobby oriented, the last four are business oriented.
- Decide on system to start with to learn on.
- Build an AP system, startup up the Nitrogen cycle, understand day-to-day operation, see plants and fish grow successfully. Document system experience, measurements, challenges, etc.
- ID best plants to grow based on speed of growth, ease of care.
Ex: squash don’t like heat. Beans go nuts!, etc.
- Prove AP systems value to my family as food.
Recover some of the money spent building the system by eating the produce we would otherwise have to purchase.
- Sell produce from AP system; Friends and neighbors, Local Market, Farmer’s Market:
produce, monthly, weekly, etc.
ID opportunity and challenges of selling AP fish
Prove viability of a minimal sized commercial AP system
Grow plants that grow fast, sell well, produce good ROI.
May require a club, or team.
ROI nice but not the object. Goal is to understand how to do all correctly to produce a good ROI.
- Build my first commercial AP business:
May require a loan, or grant.
ROI clearly in place from day 1 planning and planting.
- Grow my commercial AP system in size and income.